• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

Agency-as-Student.

Started by droqen, April 10, 2022, 03:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

I've heard games be described as agency fantasies. It's taken me a while to unspool that thought -- a game is a simulation, so nothing that happens in it matters. Why should I care about the suffering of a fictional character, the death of a fictional world, getting one ending over another? I know not to, but I still want agency.

Agency-as-Student is a tenet-in-development. The games I want to play are agency fantasies of exploration and learning. I can read an incredible book and learn something new. The world is full of great writing sharing great perspectives. A book is a guided tour; when we're in tune, I am exploring and learning hand in hand with its author.

Games can respond to what I want to learn. The agency I have is over my own exploration and learning, my own experience. The agency fantasy is not the fantasy that what I do has an effect on a virtual world without meaning, but the fantasy that I can choose what happens to me, and that I can design my own experience around what I care about.

(Let's not get into the topic of multiplayer games today.)

droqen

See Time Loop Nihilism.

If there are no material consequences, why do my actions matter? Being "stuck in a time loop" is a specific case of the more general "embodied in a space with no consequences". The conclusions drawn in that thread and explored in Geller's video effectively come down to - you as an individual are still impacted; you are outside of that consequence-free space; the impacts on you are what is meaningful, not what happens inside.

The question of "What agency?" in game as agency fantasy must ultimately be answered with "Agency over self."