• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

Leaving Rust gamedev after 3 years

Started by droqen, April 30, 2024, 09:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

QuotePositives of Rust

i will take this section with a grain of salt but maybe it will be useful!

- nice compiler (i know this already, yes it is quite nice)
- it is performant (cool, truly good to know!)
- enums are nicely implemented (yes so are a bunch of other things, it's a nice language for programmers)
- weird backhanded compliment about a feature i know nothing about, skip
- traits (see comment on enums)

hmm

droqen

QuoteClosing thoughts

QuoteWe've been using Rust on basically all of our games since mid 2021. This was when BITGUN initially started as a Godot/GDScript only project, and as we ran into issues with Godot's pathfinding (both performance and functionality wise) I looked into alternatives [..]

Quote[..] the article isn't written from a point of ignorance or not trying the correct approach. The #1 argument I hear people say when someone points out issues with Rust as a language is, jokingly, "you just don't have enough experience to appreciate this". We repeatedly tried both more dynamic and fully static approaches to doing things. We tried pure ECS, and we also tried no ECS.

I don't know if I'm correct about what I want, but very few points here have at all contradicted what I think I want.
In particular, I suppose I don't think that this person did ever try the correct approach, because the game that they produced looks like it was made by a Unity dev. This is not meant to be derogatory, it has a kind of vibe about it. It doesn't strike me as the kind of game I'd seek to make with something like Rust, and I can see where trying to design a game like this full of casual rules exceptions and stuff would run into problems.