• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

fear

Started by droqen, May 13, 2024, 09:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

regarding droqen's
"fear"

droqen

"what are these games we dream of?" "this thing that should always be out of reach" "a framework within which i can feel like i am beginning to understand it"

i looked through jack's words from and wondered whether i had been avoiding dealing with the feeling behind keeping a thing 'always . . . out of reach'

droqen

"how necessary is it . . . anyway?"

the fear, the doubts. there is a doubt and fear that pushes me off of actually doing the thing, that makes me step back and away and wonder whether i'm doing the right thing at all

hmm

haiku games are missing a home.

QuoteThe common perception is that video games are fundamentally commercial products, played domestically--often alone--and function in isolation.
~ game arts curators kit, GOALS chapter

it is difficult to fight this 'common perception', part of the reason for that being the common perception defines what venues are available to games. i do not think the common venue is wholly artificially constructed, and i do think it will be a lot of work, experimental failureful work, to define some new venue. it must catch something true and perhaps someone else has already tried to catch this true thing and failed because it was not catchable, not true, or too difficult.

monopoly rules asks,

"How big is the potential monopoly space?"

"What is keeping other [people] from claiming this space?
(Anticipated costs? The danger of cannibalism their existing [practice], of damaging their brand image? Do they believe it's not worth entering?)"

"Can you. . . overcome the barriers that other [people] perceive?
(How? Can you develop a plausible business plan?)"

droqen

a need - something that isn't being provided adequately or at all today

incumbent inertia - current providers serving this group are unable or unwilling to provide that "something" efficiently or cost-effectively

new capability - you can envision new ways of meeting those needs profitably...

droqen

i am... devising a curatorial strategy from this perspective... i want to serve not my ego, but some powerful unserved human need out in the world... whatever that means. i think the game arts curators kit will hopefully touch on that.

droqen

"time to make some everyday, perfectly ordinary haiku games" - i wrote this as my conclusion to 'fear', but i don't know, i don't know yet. i do believe in doing the work. but i also suppose that someone must do the work of curation and presentation. it must become normal and ordinary, but someone must do the work of making it normal, of understanding what normal even is, of discovering the information "what is a haiku game?" from the context of not what it means to a creator but what it means to an explorer, an appreciator, a recipient.

what does it mean to seek out a haiku game?
what does it mean to be satisfied by a haiku game?
what does it mean to wait for a new haiku game?
what does it mean to remember a haiku game?
what does it mean to share a haiku game?

when i ask "what is a haiku game?" i am asking all of these questions.