• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

Social Adrenaline Rush - why release provocative art?

Started by droqen, November 24, 2021, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

I had an interview for a job I wanted, and I met a couple people over Zoom, and in that moment, I knew I was being judged to some degree. The emotions in that moment were like those in a game of Mafia. Afterwards, even though I had the feeling I'd botched it a bit (I was nervous, and also I'm still not sure I have enough of the relevant experience to be considered a real candidate), i revelled in this lingering adrenaline rush.

Adrenaline rush.

It made me think about the way daredevils jump off buildings to feel that thrill: do I relish that feeling in social interactions? That same thrill is present when entering an unknown, but important, social environment.

Perhaps I get the same thrill out of designing & then publicly releasing super weird videogames -- they are like dares for others to judge them, and to some degree, me by extension.

I'll think more on this sometime.

droqen

I would like to be clear that I also happen to like the other side of provocative art: it's not just about my enjoyment of releasing it, although that's highly beneficial to know.

I also like its effects. Engaging with something that pushes at my opinions, makes me think about my judgement, is highly valuable to me.