• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

GAMER POTLUCK EP. 14!

Started by droqen, October 27, 2022, 12:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

Really enjoying watching these two talk about awake and haiku games, there are a few quotes I want to pull

droqen

Quote from: moochi, 2:21:00-ishI feel like there are two ways of creating categories. One is something you're striving for, and the other one is "these are a set of restrictions".. and is also something you're striving for

droqen

Quote from: hawkdanny, 2:01:30-ishI was posting in paradise recently about Beautycopter because there was this conversation happening about asset flip aesthetics[..] What works and what doesn't, what is valuable. And I was posting about how Beautycopter is a really incredible presentation of a very, of a mostly, uninteresting game design, to me, of fetch quests. [Awake] is not an uninteresting game design, but it is, I think very importantly, equal parts presentation. It's interesting thinking about[..]

Quote from: hawkdanny, 2:03:05-ish[..] I think it is interesting thinking about presentation and aesthetics as part of games, presentation as separate from gamefeel, or juice. It is... interesting to me. I don't have more thoughts on that right now, but this game is making me think about how important the presentation is. And at least, it's doing some stuff with the aesthetics that fold back into the mechanics, like your steps are now important to be able to count them, and the way the audio sounds...

droqen

AH, here it is, the stuff that followed this was Danny asking Mut to elaborate on haiku games! I might write a letterclub about this? It's really interesting to see what it looks like from the outside...

droqen

Quote from: moochi, 2:08:00-ishI don't know that much :D [..] this idea of making a very short experience that is [..] entirely, very, trying to evoke a particular vibe, but trying to be very [..] encompassing everything? [..] the thing you were saying about the presentation is very important, you're trying to use everything you can in the smaller, the smallest package possible, but like, the more you can do with the smallest package possible [..] Every word you choose, chosen very.. Every thing you put in the game is chosen very.. [something situation? with a lot the situation?]. That's my interpretation of it, I don't remember what they wrote about.

droqen

My super-rough paraphrasing of moochi's attempt to paraphrase our exploration, haha: "A very short experience that is trying to encompass everything, doing everything you can do in the smallest package possible, where everything is chosen to suit the situation(?)"