• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

growth?

Started by droqen, January 28, 2023, 01:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

Rather than the elaborate smooth unfolding and structure-preserving transformations of The Nature of Order, what if it was as simple as growth? I was on the lookout for a shorthand and growth seemed to fit exactly what these processes entail . . .

Except, I suppose, for simplification, and the void . . . these two transformations are not well captured by the verb 'to grow'. Yet neither are they particularly well captured by 'unfolding' or 'structure-preserving transformation'. What word could be better?

droqen

I enjoy art that grows, that feels as though it was grown, that focuses on growth. (A piece of art does not have to do all of these.)

There are obvious parallels between growth and life so it's surprising to me that the verb does not feature more strongly in TNoO.

Decisions. Decisions are important. In any activity, where do you spend most of your time, most of your energy? Some decisions are about execution, about testing your skills. These are not interesting decisions. I am interested in decisions that provoke growth. This is what an 'interesting decision' is, to me.

It is nice to make a 'correct decision' sometimes, testing my growth, testing the validity of it, to see whether the growth was in the right direction, but even then it should be judged by my own hand. Internal conflict, growth, transformation, metamorphosis.

A constant unfolding. Neverending change, even when it is so slow as to be imperceptible. I want to look back and think, "Wow, I changed in some meaningful way as a result of this experience."

I want to grow.