• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

replayability discourse

Started by droqen, September 25, 2021, 09:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

@radiossauro's tweets about "games like they're places"

Quotethe games that I like to replay are usually spaces I like to inhabit, be it because of a sense of nostalgia or just because they feel nice.

I and my brother played a lot of tfc, every once in a while I log in to hang out in those places and hear those noises.

Quoteits very much about virtual places I like to inhabit to me, or some feeling like that that brings me calmness, in puzzle games like tetris etc

Quotethere's a couple of servers where people still play, there are ones with bots too, but when the ones with people are kinda full I go in, lots of old maps get revived and the community is small and chill, people voice chatting and stuff, its very much about virtual places I like to inhabit to me, or some feeling like that that brings me calmness, in puzzle games like tetris etc

droqen

Replayability fantasy/aesthetic types:

AESTHETIC, SENSE OF PLACE
- Space I like to inhabit, or revisit

VARIETY
- High spatial variability - nothing will happen "The same" as last time. (Beetlenaut)

OWNERSHIP? SENSE OF REALITY WITH DIFFERENT PEOPLE (SONDER)
- Things COULD HAVE gone very differently. My own journey. Same as above but also different (LabAtMidnight, jackcrawford_)

MASTERY, COMFORT
- the feeling that your skills are improving. cozy and inspiring. mastery over repeated segments. (ms_frogrammer, TheGrittyDev)
- Long replayability - reward curiousity and experimentation, incrementally develop a relationship with it over time. "I often find myself replaying and winning the same games many many times" (lorenschmidt, tonehackRL)

REFLECTION, "READING"
- get deeper meaning and understanding of it; pay attention to detail; enjoy it again under a new light (mutmedia, raforlamot)

droqen

GAMEPLAY
- mastery, comfort
- ownership/sense of reality with different people (maybe)
- variety

NOT GAMEPLAY
- aesthetic, sense of place
- reflection, "reading"

droqen

i can't make games without gameplay. replayability comes from mastery, comfort, variety, with a little bit of this sort of meta-spice: ownership over my own particular relationship & sense that others will have their own relationships to the gameplay... let's call it individuality & sonder, or perhaps individuality and empathy. the double-edged sonder...

not just "the feeling you get when realising everyone around you has a rich and complex life just as you do",
but also feeling that your own life is rich and complex, and not merely flat and present.