• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

2024 soup

Started by droqen, April 05, 2024, 10:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

April 5
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rsh_VfTGA-Bho_hidKtzhXsk7x31PUTtw-LOoPrdcM/mobilebasic

Sylvie writes about the dialogue between player and designer.

I was hanging out with a friend in her apartment, and she sat down at the piano and played me a tune she was working on.

I've been posting daily games on droqever.com in an attempt to catch this hypercasual hanging out vibe.

In this context it isn't any longer "Why did this person choose to share or curate this, in particular?" but instead i want to have a relaxed, what do i think of this?-type experience. It isn't noise, it's a calmly steady signal. A hum, a buzz.

droqen

The idea of dialogue... I am becoming less and less interested in speaking as if I care about patterns or subversions... No, I guess it would be easier to say I am not interested in being playful with patterns, in using them or not using them for effect. I prefer to be blissfully ignorant, like a child, and let the patterns return to a transparent state — leaving only the feeling, leaving pure effect.

This is how I'd like to enjoy a work, as appreciator and creator. As pleased maker.

droqen

I am not so interested in thinking about patterns. I wish to use them and experience them without noticing.

droqen

April 9

"On small circles"

Following... people posting about following, feeds, popular mass appeal...

There is a guy in Toronto who goes to the same show twice a year and enthusiastically peddles these little figures he makes. I avoid talking to him because he is so damn enthusiastic about something I have no love for whatsoever.

It occurred to me that this dude is living his best life basically being an indie funko pop. Not that his works are cultural references. But he has a style and that style has become his identity (at least within a narrow scope), and obviously somebody out there likes his stuff.

He's loudly his style.

droqen

"On small circles"

So I aspire to it, to some degree. I mean, I hate the style, and enthusiasm about a style I hate is... man, I don't know how to describe the depths of my disdain. And I think that this disdain is quite ugly and useless, I have no love for this emotional response of mine. I should be happy for him, I'd like to be happy for myself, because I want to be him.

I want to loudly embrace an idiosyncratic style. No—I only want this because I have a style, I am idiosyncratic, the only problem is I'm not deadly publicly enthusiastic about it, and I wish I were.

droqen

April 10

Information gates, information keys
Chapters of a book
Roguelikes...
The Stanley Parable...