• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

The Art of Dramatic Writing

Started by droqen, September 03, 2024, 11:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

QuoteP264
. . . nature is invariably dialectical in all her manifestations.
Quote from: Webster's 1913Dialectics
That branch of logic which teaches the rules and modes of reasoning; the application of logical principles to discursive reasoning; the science or art of discriminating truth from error; logical discussion.
There was something about this argument that reminded me quite directly of Christopher Alexander's discussion of spheres in nature -- bubbles. Cells, maybe. Things that are formed precisely because of the forces at play.

This I think is highly relevant to Egri's point about nature being dialectical.

QuoteP264
. . . that tree we spoke of before had a premise. There was orchestration between the tree and gravity. There was conflict between gravity and the tree's will to live. There was transition in the growth of the tree, the action of the branches. There was crisis and climax, and resolution in the tree's victory. What nature did with a tree a playwright can do with characters. [She] can experiment if [she] follows the fundamental principles of dialectics.

droqen

a familiar appeal.

Quotep272

If you are interested not in writing good plays, but in making money quickly, there's no hope for you. Not only won't you write a good play; you won't make any money. We've seen hundreds of young playwrights work feverishly at half-digested plays, under the impression that producers were waiting in line to snatch them away. And we've seen them disheartened when their manuscripts finished the rounds. . . . Sincerity cannot be manufactured, cannot be injected into a play when you do not feel it.
     We suggest you write something you really believe in. And, for heaven's sake, don't hurry. Play with your manuscript, enjoy yourself. Watch your characters grow. Draw characters who live in society, whose actions are forced by necessity. . .

removed the most trite stuff that i didn't need to hear again.

sincerity cannot be manufactured ... it must be felt ... make something you believe in ... enjoy yourself, watch the thing grow ... people who live in society ...

applying the logic of 'forcing by necessity' to players is kind of an ugly thing. of course it makes sense, enough sense, in a play, but i'd like to get away from that in games.

i believe that most games and most game design do use this tactic.

then perhaps i should create my corruption:

make games for people living in society, who are forced to your games by a necessity which you do not manufacture, but which resides already within them. resolve forces.

more broadly,  i would like to create art that resolves forces.