• Welcome to droqen's forum-shaped notebook. Please log in.

What Makes a Game Feel Mysterious?

Started by droqen, September 27, 2024, 05:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droqen

again this pattern:

EXAMPLE
EXAMPLE
EXAMPLE
--l ol he said metroidbrania! he said the word!!! i'm so smart!!!!!

anyway, yes, I'm seeing this didactic/engagement strategy appear again, i wonder what's up with that.

UNANSWERED QUESTION
EXAMPLE 1
EXAMPLE 2
EXAMPLE 3
CONNECTING LARGER CONCEPT

i'm kind of impatient. (i will readily admit this to anyone who asks.)
give me the answer right away if you got it, dude.

• QUESTION
  • ANSWER
  • ADDITIONAL DETAIL
  • REPEAT THE ANSWER NOW THAT I HAVE THE DETAIL

... i say this, but i understand it isn't how storytelling works. However. this is not storytelling. mark brown is not taking me on an emotional ride, or at least i wish he wasn't? no, that's not right. i don't think that's what he's trying to do. there's no emotional ride here, just potentially useful information laid out in a way which i find frustrating.

if there is an emotional ride it is the 'feeling of learning' which is pretty gross and annoying, i don't need learning gamified.

anyway, that's not his fault, i'd like to reiterate that i think this is fairly common.

the algorithm is being fed.

droqen

"knowledge-based keys"
- force the player to pay close attention ("You can't just stumble onto a key and bumble onto a lock"; the player must be an active participant)
- when locked behind knowledge, the player can use the key at any point in time ("That's a pretty amazing feeling that leads to more personal stories" ... "interesting, sequence-breaking exploits")
- carefully parse the information, or combine different bits of knowledge (knowledge-based gameplay?) ("extra layer of satisafaction . . . "aha, I figured it out!"")

droqen

- the reward doesn't matter for makign the mystery satisfying

- repeating the same thing over and over makes a game predictable (the opposite of mystery/wonder? ooh)

- repetition may be necessary, we can offset it with completely unique areas

- establishing a pattern and then breaking it, don't take things for granted?

droqen

INVISIBLE QUESTIONS
Ones that make you ask, "What else is the game hiding?"

droqen

the path behind you littered with question marks

droqen

conceal something from the player
locked door
rules/mechanics of the game
layout of landscape/world
narrative enigma
-> they create a question in the player's mind
the player answers the question themselves via
discovery, exploration, observation, puzzle-solving, or working with others
-> satisfaction of being the one to crack the code and reveal the secret
if we don't let on that there's a puzzle to solve
"true moment of mystery as they realise that there's more to this game than they ever thought possible"

droqen

(these were mark brown's own sparknotes)

droqen

[ A. Conceal something from the player so that they are aware something is being concealed.

Examples:

- present the player with a locked door. they are aware that "doors can be opened" but they may not be aware of the answer to the questions, "what is behind the door?" and/or "how do i open the door?"

- present the player with a system whose rules are not fully understood. they may be aware that rules are being followed, but not be sure what all of those rules are.

- present the player with a landscape to explore whose nooks and crannies are undiscovered. similar to the locked door. i know how to move around and that exploration is possible, but not the extent of what exists or can exist in the landscape, or (on a smaller scale) what i will find, as in, right around that corner

- present the player with an 'enigma', an unanswered question, possibly in the narrative. this is a topic perhaps better covered by looking into the vast ocean of existing nonfiction on how to write.

B. The player is motivated to uncover it.

It isn't a necessity that the player be allowed to do things that they are motivated to do, but it's often a good idea! In the above descriptions many player 'actions' or 'activities' are implicit.

Brown's list of common mystery-revealing actions:

- exploration
- observation
- puzzle-solving
- working with others

There's a third part about the effect of situations where the player is NOT aware that something is concealed, but I won't go further in depth here, it's too large of a topic. ]

notes complete

droqen

From the comments regarding 'unknown unknown' type mysteries
QuoteBeing left by the dev to over-analyze every sprite, animation, shadow, sound and movement is exciting for a short time, but leaves me feeling very anxious and I cannot relax into the game anymore.